The first railway line with which the railway traffic in Macedonia was launched on August 9, 1873 with the commissioning of the line Thessaloniki – Skopje. In 1874 it was extended to Kosovska Mitrovica, and in 1888 the line Belgrade – Skopje – Thessaloniki was in use. The railway station that existed from 1873 to 1937 was built on the location where today is the Museum of the City of Skopje. In 1931, in order to improve the railway traffic, the municipality administration conducted a competition for the construction of a new building at the railway station. The old railway station in Skopje began to be built in 1937 according to the projects of the architect Velimir Gavrilovic which has worked in the Design Bureau of the General Directorate of Railways in Belgrade. It was put into operation in 1940 and was considered one of the most beautiful railway stations in the Balkans at that time. According to the data, 24 trains entered in a period of 24 hours, and the famous “Orient Express” passed here. On average, about 1,000 passengers arrived daily. But during the 1963 earthquake, the building was largely destroyed. The preserved part has been turned into a Museum of the City of Skopje.
credits to Gordana Janakievska