The Skopje Fortress, commonly referred to as Kale (from kale, the Turkish word for ‘fortress’), is a historic fortress located in the old town of Skopje, the capital of Macedonia. It is located in Centar municipality, and situated on the highest point in the city overlooking the Vardar river. The fortress is depicted on the coat of arms of Skopje, which in turn is incorporated in the city’s flag.
The first fortress was built in 6th century AD on a land that was inhabited during the Neolithic and Bronze ages (roughly 4000 BC onwards). It was constructed with yellow limestone and travertine, along with fragments of Latin inscriptions. Material for the fortress originated from the Roman city of Skupi, which was completely destroyed by an earthquake in 518.
In 1346 at the Skopje Fortress, Stefan Dusan adopted the title of Emperor his coronation and he had transferred the capital of Serbian empire to Skopje.